- FX-format compatible, super-telephoto single-focal-length lens with a focal length of 800 mm (the longest among AF NIKKORs) and a maximum aperture of f/5.6
- Fluorite (x2), ED glass (x2) and Nano Crystal Coat are employed, realizing high optical performance with minimal chromatic aberration
- 1.25x AF-S Teleconverter, AF-S TELECONVERTER TC800-1.25E ED that employs an ED glass element is supplied as a dedicated teleconverter (focal length is extended to 1000 mm with effective maximum aperture of f/7.1)
- Electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism is incorporated for enhanced stability in auto exposure control during continuous shooting even when the teleconverter is used (Not compatible with the D2 series, D1 series, D200, D100, D90, D80, D70 series, D3000, D60, D50, D40 series, 35mm film cameras)
- VR function that provides the effect equivalent to a shutter speed 4.5 stops* faster
- * 4.0 stops with the AF-S TELECONVERTER TC800-1.25E ED. Based on CIPA Standard. The value is achieved when attached to an FX-format digital SLR camera.