In mode P, the camera automatically adjusts shutter speed and aperture for optimal exposure. You can, however, choose other aperture and shutter speed combinations that will produce the same exposure: this is called "flexible program". Choose programmed auto for snapshots and in other situations in which you don't want to miss a shot.
01. Press the mode dial lock release and rotate the mode dial to P.
1. The mode dial lock release
02. In mode P, different combinations of shutter speed and aperture can be selected by rotating the main command dial while the exposure meters are on (“flexible program”). While flexible program is in effect, a Flexible Program indicator appears in the control panel.
03. Rotate the dial to the right for large apertures (low f-numbers) that blur background details or fast shutter speeds that “freeze” motion.
Rotate the dial to the left for small apertures (high f-numbers) that increase depth of field or slow shutter speeds that blur motion.
04. To restore default shutter speed and aperture settings, rotate the main command dial until the indicator is no longer displayed, choose another mode, or turn the camera off.
View information on functions related to Exposure Mode: Mode P (Programmed Auto).