In mode P, the camera automatically adjusts shutter speed and aperture for optimal exposure. You can, however, choose other aperture and shutter speed combinations that will produce the same exposure: this is called "flexible program". Choose programmed auto for snapshots and in other situations in which you don't want to miss a shot.
01. Rotate the mode dial to P.
In mode P, different combinations of shutter speed and aperture can be selected by rotating the command dial (“flexible program”).
02. Rotate the command dial right to blur background details or freeze motion (for large apertures and fast shutter speeds).
03. Rotate the command dial left to increase depth of field or blur motion (for small apertures and slow shutter speeds).
04. While flexible program is in effect, a Flexible Program indicator appears in the viewfinder and information display.
05. To restore default shutter speed and aperture settings, rotate the command dial until the indicator is no longer displayed, choose another mode, or turn the camera off.
View information on functions related to Exposure Mode: Programmed Auto (Mode P).